The Edward W. Holland House was the oldest home in Atlanta in 1902. It was built ca 1842 on the site of the railroad and George Depot. Later moved to Peters Street, located to the rear lot of 18 Trinity Street. The home was first owned by the Mayor, who later sold it to Holland, who sold it to one of his sons, who afterwards sold it to W. A. Hemphill. Edward W. Holland was born 1807 in South Carolina and after he removed from Atlanta, owned a tanning yard and hotel in Gainesville in 1880s. His wife was Martha T. Holland, born 1815 in Georgia.
Sources: Atlanta Journal June 8, 1902; 1880 Hall County Census.
Rich's Department Store was a historical landmark in Georgia for 60 or seventy years. This building was constructed in 1906. The building supplied its own steam heat and electric lights, dimensions were 65 x 150 feet. All of the furnishings were in mahogany, with cases made of that same rare wood. It had three modern elevators. At the time of construction, M. Rich & Bros. Co. retained the five-story furniture annex and the two-story building on Hunter Street. Source: Atlanta Journal, May 9, 1906.
Digital Images of Fulton County Wills and Estates
Digital Images of DeKalb County Wills and Estates