Georgia Pioneers
Home of 8 Genealogy Websites
My Profile
My Profile


VIDEO: Macdonald

The McDonald/Macdonald families. For more detailed information:

1. Subscribe to Georgia Pioneers

2. Click on Member Login

3. Click on Genealogy Vault
The Macdonalds of Sleat descend from Hugh Macdonald, son of Alexander, Earl of Ross, and Lord of the Isles, hence, patronymic of Clann Uisdein or children of Hugh. The earliest residence connected with the Barony of Sleat repetition of Clan Nisdein was the fortalice of Dunskaich, lying south of Sleat. Hugh MacDonald I was married three times. He died in 1498.

Flora Macdonald The Macdonald Clan which includes Flora Macdonald left Scotland before the American Revolutionary War due to military conflicts with the English. A vessel containing many members of the Clan landed on the North Carolina shores and sent a petition to the Governor asking for a land grant. They received 40,000 acres in Moore County. Most of its Clan members sided with the English. Thus, after the war, they returned to Scotland. The few left behind were patriots who received land grants for their service.

The Story of Flora Macdonald
Hugh Macdonald was born in 1762 in Scotland and was part of the Scottish Clan of Flora Macdonald who was granted 40,000 acres of land in Moore County, North Carolina. Hugh MacDonald was listed in The Colonial Records of North Carolina: "Hugh McDonald, Private, Dohertys Co., 2 1/2 years, omitted November 1778." Also, Roster of N. C. Revolutionary War Records: "Hugh McDonald, Roll of Captain Joshua Bowman's Lt. Infantry, N. C. Batt. September 8, 1778."

From the Colonial Records of North Carolina, Vol. II, page 828-837, a partial journal is recorded, written by young Hugh MacDonald, but the context and grammar are corrected since Hugh did not have much education. He tells how, when he was fourteen years old his father took him along to the Battle of Moore's Creek, where he was taken prisoner along with the others. But, like most privates who were made prisoners on that occasion, he and his father were set at liberty and sent home. He clarified his family's political position as Tories.

Battle of Moore's Creek "Notwithstanding this scouring at Moore's Creek and the just condition of our fellow citizens, we remained unhurt, as still, Tories as ever. The expedition took place in the month of February 1778, from which we returned and began to repair our fences for a crop the ensuing summer. About the first of June, a report was circulated that a company of riders was coming into the settlement; and, as a guilty conscience needs no accuser, everyone thought they were after him. The report was that Colonel Alston had sent out four or five men to cite us on to muster at Henry Eagles on Bear Creek, upon which our poor deluded people took refuge in the swamps. On a certain day when we were plowing in the field, news came to my father that the Light Horse was in the settlement and requested that he would conceal himself. He sent me to the house of his brother-in-law to give him notice and ordered me to take the horse out of the plow, turn him loose and follow him as best I could. I went to the horse but never having plowed any in my life, I was trying how I could plow, when giving men on a horse appeared at the fence, one of whom, Daniel Buie, knew me and asked me what I was doing here. I answered that my father lived here; and he said, he wasn't aware of that."

"Come, he says, Come go with us to pilot us through the settlement; for we have a boy here with us who has come far enough. He is six miles from home and is tired enough"

"I told Mr. Buie that I dare not go, for if I did, my father would kill me. He then alighted from his horse and walked into the field, ungeared the horse, and took him outside the fence. He then put up the fence again, and leading me by the hand, put me on behind one of the company.

We then went to Daniel Shaw's, thence to John Morrisons (the shoemaker); thence to old Hugh I was ordered to go home, but I refused and went with them to the muster at Eagles. The next day, Colonel Philip Alston appeared at the muster, whose men told him that they had taken a boy to pilot them a little way through the settlement and that they could not get clear of him. Then, the Colonel personally insisted on my going back to my father; but I told them I would not; for he had told me the consequence of my going with them before they took me... One evening the brigade, being on parade, I felt a great desire for home and thought I saw everything in my father's house before my eyes. I got out of my tent and went away some distance to a fresh-running branch. The water, from falling over a large poplar root, had made a deep hole blow, and getting into the hold I laid my head on the root, which I believe was the sweetest bed I ever laid. The water was so cool to my parched body that I lay there until 10 o'clock the next day before they found me, George Dudley, Sgt. Of our company, having crossed within two feet of my head without seeing me. William Carrol, who was in company with Dudley, discovered me and exclaimed: By G-d, here he is, burned to be an otter. He is under the water! Dudley, having passed me, turned back, took me out of the water, and carried me to camp. When the doctor came to see me, he said that the water had cooled my fever and that I had recovered, though he had given me out before."

The complete genealogy of Hugh Macdonald is available to members of in the Genealogy Vault.