Glynn County Wills, Estates, Marriages, City Directories

General Oglethorpe first put settlers on St. Simons Island in 1836; the transport was primarily Englishmen. The first parish church was located on the island. After 1848 when Oglethorpe won the land war with Spain and disbanded his Georgia regiment and returned to England, settlers began to desert the military post and find land grants throughout the county. Many of them were removed to McIntosh and Liberty Counties. The Colonial period was divided by the parish of St. David, St. Parick, and St. Jones, organized in 1758. Glynn County was created in 1777 and named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British House of Commons who defended the cause of the American Colonies in the difficulties which led to the Revolutionary War. Research should also include the Colonial Records of Georgia by Candler; Mcintosh and Liberty Counties.

Wills and Estates

  • Wills & Appraisements 1809-1843
  • Wills & Appraisements 1842-1849
  • Images of Originals of Wills and Estates 1809 to 1845

Online Images of Wills & Appraisements 1856-1866

Names of Testators: Bell, W. W., Brooks, Samuel,Burnett, Samuel M.,Clubb, James W.,Corbit, Samuel, Couper, James Hamilton,Dart, Anna,Davenport, William G., DuBignon, Felicitt,Fins, Job,Gignilliat, John M.,Golden, Thomas, Hamilton, James,Harris, Horace J., Hazlehurst, Frances L.,Hazzard, Thomas T. (Dr.),Hillier, Thomas,Hinkman,, R. S.,Holland, John, Hooker, Ann O.,Hubbs, James S. Sr., Jenkins, William,Johnston, P. C., Jones, Daniel,King, Ann Matilda,King, Matilda, wife of Thomas Butler King,King, Thomas,Lamb, Celia,Mc Conn, P. H.,Moore, J. W.,Moore, Sarah, Moore, S. B.,O’Sullivan, Florence,Pettigrew, George W.,Piles, John, Ratcliff, James M.,Roden, John,Royall, Horace J.,Rumph, John R., Spears, Anderson,Stafford, Robert,Stevens, Charles, Tison, Job, Ira and Mrs. J. L.,Troup, James, Truscott, William, Turner, William,Welbourne, Charles,Westmoreland, Eardly G.,Wood, John R.,Woolley, Vardy.

Indexes to Probate Records

  • Wills, Inventories, Appraisements, Bk D 1810-1843
  • Wills, Inventories, Appraisements, Bk D 1844-1853
  • 1818 to 1852
  • 1827 to 1866
  • 1885 to 1886
  • Map of Blythe Island.
City Directories
  • 1890 Brunswick
  • 1892 Brunswick.
  • 1892 St. Simons Island.
  • 1898 St. Simons Island.

Traced Genealogies of Glynn County Families

  • Couper
  • Dubignon
  • Harris
  • Mackay
  • McIntosh
  • Tyson

Military Road on St. Simons Island

General Oglethorpe established a fort on the northern part of the island in 1738 and a smaller fort on the southern tip where the lighthouse was later built adjoining Military Road. The Colonial Records of Georgia by Candler describes this road as being due east and crossing Gully Hole Creek at its narrowest point. A personal visit to this area suggests that this may have been the entrance through a stockade fence leading inside the town. Also, there are several cement graves rising above the ground. Although the inscriptions are no longer discernible, the fact is (according to Candler) there were deaths occurring as early as 1741. After crossing Gully Hole Creek and the marsh, the road swung to the southeast, crossing the present (Frederica) Road to the south end just north of Obligation Pond which touched the eastern shore of St. Simons. From this point, it followed the edge of the marsh to the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh.

The inhabitants of the Town went out on the 25th of September 1738 with the General and cut a road through the woods down to the Soldiers Fort (Fort St. Simons) in a straight line, so that there is open communication from thence; they performed this work in three days, tho’ it is near 6 miles through thick woods.” Source: Gentlemen’s Magazine (London) January 1839. Very little of the original road remains today.