Sumter County Genealogy Records Available to Members
Sumter County Marriages
- Sumter County Marriages 1833-1850
- Sumter County Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Sumter County Wills 1831-1900 (abstracts).
Indexes to Probate Records
- Index to Sumter County Will Bk OO, 1838 to 1855.
- Index to Sumter County Annual Returns, Vouchers, Appraisements, 1850 to 1870
Miscellaneous Wills and Estates
- Brinkley, Benjamin H., deceased. Bond for Temporary Letters of Administration (1854).
- Powell, John, LWT (Digital Image)(1863).
- Powell, William, LWT (Digital Image) (1863).
Sumter County Families
Who were Refugee Soldiers?
Sumter County Wills, Estates, MarriagesSumter County was founded in 1832 by Lee County and was the site of 3 hospitals for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. The famous Confederate prison Andersonville was located here where many northern soldiers died as a result of cruel treatment. The surrounding town and plantations, suffering themselves, share food with the prisoners but history fails to give this account. County Seat: Americus.
Early Settlers: Oliver Griffith, Samuel Bivins, Wright Brady, Lewis Bruner, John Cowart, Ebenezer Cottle, James Cato, William Dupree, John Fletcher.
SEE OUR VIDEOS ON RUMBLE
Videos that will help you find your ancestors. Topics include Genealogy Tips, Emigrants to America, Historical Events & People, etc. Free
. . Featuring stories of the past that you will treasure!