Cumberland Island and Little Cumberland Island are divided by a narrow saltwater pass called Christmas Creek. Today Cumberland Island is owned by the State, although Little Cumberland is privately owned. The Light House is at the northern tip of Little Cumbeerland Island and was first called St. Andrews Light House. After the War Between the States, the name was changed. It has been inoperative since 1915. Today, a large sand dune hides it from view and the structure can only be seen from the shore.
"Dungeness" was the home of Andrew Candler, the famous entrepreneur whose library contents is preserved in the Atlanta Public Library. At some point this great mansion was burned to the ground and the stone edifice is all that remains.
Subscribe to Atlanta Historical Tidbits newsletter