Georgia Pioneers



Hofwyl Plantation, Darien, Georgia

Hofwyl Plantation

William Brailsford, Dr. James Troup & James Dent Plantation
McIntosh County. William Brailsford, the son of Samuel Brailsford and his wife, Elizabeth (Holmes) Brailford, was born 1767 in Charleston, South Carolina and died 8 April 1837 in Darien, McIntosh County, Georgia. He was married to Maria, born 1769, died 3 April 1837 in Darien, buried on the old Baillie Plantation in Eulonia. He established a rice plantation located on Hwy 17 near Darien, which he called "Brailsford", later renamed "Broadfield", which he bequeathed to his daughter, Camilla. Camilla was born 1804 and died 9 September 1847 at Baisdens Bluff. She was married to Dr. James Troup (born 1785, died 25 April 1849 at Broadfield. They had a daughter, Ophelia Troup, who married George Dent, born 1833 in South Carolina. They resided at Broadfield plantation. Ophelia died before 1880. Issue: Hofwyl Plantation Hofwyl Plantation Hofwyl Plantation Hofwyl Plantation Hofwyl Plantation Hofwyl Plantation

Brailsford and other Georgia Genealogies have been traced



Hofwyl Plantation

This rice plantation is located on Hwy 17 North (towards Darien), on the right-hand side of the road. I visited this house and was amazed to see furniture which was so small that it looked like doll furniture. The family members were scarcely five feet tall, and thus all the furnishings (which yet remain in the home, nothing has been touched) reflect their needs. The narrow feather beds are fluffed up high, but very short in length, and chairs and day couches are very low in height. William Brailsford came to Georgia from Charleston, South Carolina in the early 1800's and purchased a parcel of land known as Broadface, which he renamed Broadfield. It was located on the tidal swamp of the Altamaha River. He had a daughter, Camilla Brailsfield, who married Dr. James Troup. When William Brailsford died in 1810, his son-in-law, Dr. James M. Troup assumed the management of the plantation in 1814 and purchased it in 1834. Dr. Troup also purchased the adjoining tract called New Hope. He died in 1840 in debt, and left his eldest son, D. H. B. Troup to manage Broadfield Plantation. In 1856, it was divided into three parcels, Broadfield, East New York and West New Hope (Hofwyl), and given to his sons and daughters. Dr. James M. Troup was a bank president, alderman, major and state Senator for McIntosh County. When he died, his estate had 7300 acres of land and 357 slaves, as well as homes in Darien on Baisden's Bluff.

Ophelia Troup married George Dent, who "added on" to the house in the 1850's. This large rice plantation fell into disrepair when Ophelia and George Dent had to remove to a refugee camp in Waycross during the War Between the States. After the war, the Dents gave up a large portion of the estate to pay back taxes. The plantation was renamed Hofwyl-Broadfield. When their son, James Dent, died in 1913, his son, Gratz Dent established a dairy which was operated until 1942 by his sisters, Miriam and Ophelia Dent.

Camilla Dent

George Dent

desk

Hofwyl Plantation

Pin it


Wormsloe Plantation, Savannah

Subscribe to Atlanta Historical Tidbits newsletter






Copyright by Pioneer Families LLC