Early County was created in 1818 containing 3,750 square miles in Southwest Georgia. The original occupants of this land were the Creeks who were removed under the Treaty of Ft Jackson on August 9, 1814. This treaty settled all of the claims to the South Georgia land. It was named for Governor Peter Early, a native of Virginia; Congressional delegate and Governor from 1813 to 1815. The first settlers came in 1817, settling on Harrod's Creek (now Old Factory Creek) on the Chattahoochee River. Earliest Settlers: L. B. Avirett, Thomas Avera, M. H. Alexander, Alexander W. Bealer, Woodson F. Davis, George Colley, Joseph Lane, L. D. Gay, A. J. Lewis, W. R. Puckett, Loren Russell, R. H. Sheffield and L. C. Ward. The first court was not held until 1820. The county seat is Blakely.
Early County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Digital Images of Early County Wills 1822-1832
- Index to Early County Marriages 1823-1834
- Index to Early County Marriages 1868-1889Testators: Broom, Thomas;Cole, Mark; Curry, Samuel; Gilley, John; Griffith, John; Holmes, Nathaniel; Jackson, Robert; Jackson, Samuel; Kelly, William; Liverman, Brown; McCulloh, Anthony ; McCulloh, Leonard; Porter, Benjamin; Sheffield, Isham ; Smith, Laden; Watson, AlexanderDigital Images of Early County Wills 1839-1895Testators: Alexander, James; Alexander, Martin ;Averitt, Abner; Averitt, Ephaly ;Bailey, William ;Bird, James ;Bryan, Sylvanus ;Bryan, William ;Calhoun, James; Calhoun, William ;Chivers, Larkin ;Coley, Philip ;Collier, Benjamin ;Collier, John ;Cook, W. C. ;Crawford, Joel ;Deal, John ;Dill, Job ;Dixon, Jeremiah ;Douglass, Elisha ;Ford, William ;Freeman, James ;Gilbert, John ;Glenn, James ;Goocher, Milton ;Grier, Moses ;Griffin, William ;Grimsley, Joseph ;Grimsley, Lewis ;Grimsley, Sarah ;Grist, Martha ;Harrell, Jane ;Harris, Joshua ;Haynes, Thomas ;Hays, Mary ; Hightower, Joel ;Holmes, Richard ;Howell, Edward ;Hutchins, Anthony ;Hutchins, Henry ;Hutchins, Jefferson ;Johnson, Joshua ;Jones, Thomas ;Knight, William ;Lee, Clem; Lee, Zadock ;Lewis, Mathew ;Lundy, Mary ;Mercier, Elizabeth ;Mercier, George ;Odum, Charity ;Parramore, Susannah ;Perry, Elizabeth ;Perry, Joel; Pirkle, Richard ;Powell, Coleman ;Powell, Hiram ;Powers, Sarah ;Reese, Hillman ;Ritchie, James ;Robertson, James ;Sammons, William ;Sanders, Mark ;Shackelford, Harriet ;Shackelford, James ;Taylor, James Jones ;Temples, Frederick; Thompson, Robert; Wade, William ;Wilson, Solomon; Yeldell, RobertIndexes to Probate Records
- Index to Early County Will Bk B, 1839-1895.
- Index to Early County Will Bk 2, 1896-1941.
Discover when and where your relatives graduated from Georgia Schools. See GA Graduates and Photos
- Estate of Bealer, Alex W. (1919) (image).
|See how Easy it is to read old Wills online|
|Members may also print/download image|